Saturday, 13 September 2008

A strange journey

It is strange how people describe things. When I have spoken to other people who have experience of Leukaemia, either parents or doctors, they all say that it is a 'journey'. Once you have the diagnosis, they say, it is the 'beginning of a journey'. I've found this a bit odd as I like travelling, so to me a journey is a good thing. Perhaps I will think of a different word that describes it later.

Catherine is still a bit shook up and on edge after yesterday, but has otherwise had a reasonably good day. She is still eating or thinking about eating constantly (the steroids), and now has a noticeable tummy and cheeks. Her moods are also up and down and she can get very tired and snappy. I feel sorry for her at the moment. It is so unlike her but I know it is temporary and she ends the steroids in a few weeks.

We also took her to a hairdresser today who has done a lot of research on chemotherapy and hair. She said that because Catherine was not losing her hair at the moment, she might actually keep her hair until the more intensive treatment at the end of the year. So instead of cutting her hair short we were able to give her a little bob instead along with a spray of gold hair glitter! The hairdresser is also getting some temporary pink hair colour into the salon. This is so that if Catherine does start to lose her hair, we can make it fun and pink for a bit. Catherine is excited about this and especially because she thinks mummy is getting pink hair too!!! I will end up looking like Stephanie from Lazytown at this rate...

Just to say, I've been looking today at the Facebook group 'Pray for Catherine' and am so amazed at how many people, that don't know Catherine personally, are praying for her. Thankyou to you all.

No comments: